Medical Treatment and Privacy

Table of Contents
Oklahoma Bar Association, since 1904

Medical Treatment and Privacy

Medical Treatment In Oklahoma, you are not able to obtain an abortion without parental consent until you are 18 years old, unless you are "emancipated." In Oklahoma, "emancipated" means either that you are married or that a court has ruled that you are to be treated as an adult legally.

If you are under 18, you may obtain birth control pills and/or other birth control devices, as well as prenatal medical treatment, without parental consent.

Also, if you are under 18, you may consent to have your own medical treatment without the consent of your parents if you are: married, have a child, pregnant, afflicted with a communicable disease or seeking treatment for drug or substance abuse. The health professional has a choice as to whether to inform your spouse, parent or legal guardian. However, if you are in need of emergency services for a condition which endangers your health or life, the health professional is required to notify your spouse, parent or legal guardian. Prevention of pregnancy is not an "emergency service."


Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act ("HIPPAA") is a law designed to protect the privacy and security of your health information. It sets forth rules for the use and disclosure of your confidential or protected health information ("PHI").

When seeking health care services, you should receive a copy of the provider's Notice of Privacy Practices that tells you how the provider will use and disclose your health information.

You also have certain rights under HIPPAA including the right to (i) restrict the release of your protected health information ("PHI"); (ii) receive an accounting of certain disclosures of your PHI; (iii) access and review your PHI; and (iv) file a grievance if you believe your HIPPAA rights have been violated.