Traffic Accidents

Table of Contents
Oklahoma Bar Association, since 1904

Traffic Accidents

NOTE: In 2013, according to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, 14 fatal crashes, 602 injury crashes and 1,028 non-injury crashes involved a driver distracted by an electronic device. 677 of those distracted drivers were 25 years of age or younger.

Oklahoma, along with many states, has outlawed while driving, talking on a cell phone and/or texting or doing other tasks using electronic devices. A $100 fine will be applicable to such activities.

What should you do if you are involved in a traffic accident?

Accident STOP! If you are involved in and accident, you must stop as soon as possible to avoid risking further problems. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident. If SOMEONE IS INJURED call 9-1-1 and leave the cars unmoved. If no one is injured, the law provides that drivers should make "every reasonable effort" to remove the vehicles after an accident so as to not obstruct the regular flow of traffic.

YOU MUST EXCHANGE names, addresses, registration numbers of vehicles, insurance verification forms and driver license numbers with the other drivers involved. You must report to the nearest law enforcement officer all accidents involving the injury or death of a person or causing damage to a vehicle or property over $300.

Get the names and addresses of all witnesses to the accident. Do not comment on who you think is to blame for the accident.

What happens if there is an injury accident while you are under the influence of alcohol?

Driving with alcohol in your system greatly increases the chance of an accident and doing so puts you at risk of a felony conviction and a very long time in jail. Regardless of who caused the accident, you must serve not less than 90 days in jail. If this is your second offense, it is a felony and you must serve between one (1) and five (5) years in jail. Even if it is the first offense, if you caused great bodily injury in the accident, you are guilty of a felony and must serve one (1) to five (5) years in prison.

IF YOU HIT AN UNOCCUPIED VEHICLE OR ROADSIDE PROPERTY, you must leave a note with your name and address and information from your insurance verification form. This way, the owner of the property will know how to get in touch with you and with your insurance company.

NOTE: Notify your insurance agent of the accident as soon as possible.